Purchasing a new furnace for your home may not be as exciting as buying a new smartphone or car, but it’s essential for the comfort and safety of your household.
Heating systems come with many different features these days but the first decision you’ll need to make is the fuel source. The main types are natural gas or electricity. They both do the job but each offers unique advantages and disadvantages that could sway your decision.
Pros of gas furnaces:
- Generally more cost-efficient to operate. Prices vary by location but most often, natural gas is less expensive than electricity to power the unit.
- More powerful. A gas furnace can usually heat a home faster than a comparable electric model.
- More versatile. You can pair a gas furnace with a cooling system like an air conditioner or a heat pump.
Pros of electric furnaces:
- Lower upfront cost. If you’re on a tight budget, electrical furnaces are usually less expensive for equipment and installation.
- No venting. Gas furnaces need special venting to discharge combustions gases outside. That’s not the case for electric models, which can simplify installation and cause less disruption to the home.
- Low maintenance. Compared to gas, electric furnaces require less (but still some) maintenance tasks to keep it working properly.
Cons of gas furnaces:
- Shorter service life. A quality gas furnace can last 15-20 years, while an electric furnace can have a lifespan ranging from 20-30 years.
- Requires a gas line. If you don’t have a natural gas line to your home or need to relocate it to accommodate the furnace, it can increase the installation cost.
Cons of electric furnaces:
- More expensive long-term. Because natural gas is usually cheaper, the overall cost of an electric furnace can be higher. This can be determined by your climate and how much you have to run the system in the winter.
- Dry air. Some homeowners find that electric furnaces dry out the air in your home. However, this can be counteracted with a humidifier system.
Choosing the right system for your home
When selecting the best furnace for your home, it helps to have professional guidance. That’s where the team at All American Plumbing, Heating & Air comes in. If you’re in the market for a new heating system in the Los Banos, Turlock, Merced, and Patterson areas, contact us for a free consultation and estimate. Call us today at (209) 509-4448.