5 THINGS YOU SHOULD BE DOING TO MAINTAIN YOUR AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM THIS SPRING
According to the U.S. DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY, “annual maintenance can help improve your comfort and the efficiency of your air conditioner while prolonging the life of your unit.” There are some easy steps you can take to stay cool this summer.
- Replace or clean your air filter—This simple step can lower your air conditioner’s energy consumption by 5 to 15 percent.
- Remove debris—A year’s worth of dirt and debris can significantly reduce the efficiency of your air conditioner and wear it out faster.
- Clean the condenser unit—Dirt clinging to the exterior of the condenser can restrict airflow and cause a decrease in cooling efficiency.
- Use your programmable thermostat to set temperatures—Reduce the overall wear and tear on your air conditioner by setting the temperature higher during the daytime and colder when you’re asleep.
- Get a professional inspection and cleaning done annually—Have your system checked before there’s a problem on a hot summer day! Service technicians will inspect all aspects of your air conditioning system, check refrigerant levels and clean the unit.
Generally speaking, you always want to schedule maintenance for your system shortly before the season when it’s going to be under the most stress. That way, you can have any pre-existing problems that might be made worse by the added strain resolved before they get any worse. You can also make sure that the system is as ready as possible to keep up with demand during the summer.